Ratatouille on the plate: me, my hubby on a lazy Sunday night


On Sunday night like this, my fridge is often exhausted from a week's culinary experimentation. Preparing a decent dinner always ends up to be the "mix and match" of what's rest and what needs to be eaten before their expiration date. Sometimes the menu ends up to be terriffic and delicious but most of the time it is such a disaster we needed a very good dessert to wash our palate.

And in order to avoid such misadventures I made a strategy of cooking dishes in bulk and freezing them for emergency cases like tonight (fridge and energy level both zero). So searching in my freezer I found the ratatouille that I made 2 weeks ago. Lucky me! I decided I will serve this over a hot pasta and grated emmental cheese.

Well the secret of making and preparing the authentic ratatouille according to my husband's grandmother (who is an authentic Provencal lass) is in using the right amount of "herbes de provences" (basically thymes and rosemary) and virgin olive oil. Of all the French Provencal dishes this is one of my favorite:simply because it is easy to make, it blends with any other dishes easily and most of all this was the dish served by my husband on our first romantic dinner, a defrozen ratatouille.

Ingredients: 2 big eggplants, 2 medium sized zucchini, 1 big onion, 3 gloves of garlic, 5 big red tomatoes, 1 red bell pepper, 1 green pepper, some black and green olives, herbes de provence, olive oil, salt and pepper

Cut in cubes the eggplants, zucchini, onion and peppers. Fry them on the pan with olive oil until golden brown. Put all the fried vegetables in a casserole and topped it with cubed tomatoes and herbes de provence, cover and simmer over low heat for about an hour. Stir and add the olives and simmer for another hour. Season and add more olive oil if necessary. Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love ratatouille..thanks for posting the recipe...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.