Sinful Apple, Muesli cake of caramelised apple-pastis


So the popping question is what do i do with 5 kilos of free apple (remember i collected them on the road in Massif Central with my mother in-law)? Considering that my husband is not really an apple person (neither me). I just couldn't make a simple compote with them and tarte tatin is too simple for him... So i concocted this recipe inspired with a oatmeal cake recipe i read in an inflight magazine when we went to New york. Luckily I discovered that I have a box of muesli cereals that's near it's expiration. I thought it would be a perfect ingredient to go with my cake. The result is an amazing delicious cake. It's a bit crunchy outside and creamy inside. The caramelized apple blended well too with the pastis liquor that I used (it is basically a liquor popular in Marseille made of anis and reglisse).

Ingredients: 125 g of butter
110 g of brown sugar
150 g of flour
60 g of muesli cereals with dried fruits
1 egg
1 tbsp of baking powder
1 tsp of cinnamon
2 tsps of pastis
25 g of butter
6 apples

Peel and slice the apples (remove the middle part). On a bowl marinate the apple with pastis and cinnamon powder for thirty minutes. Caramelise them on a pan with 25 g of butter and set them aside. Beat the egg and mix the sugar. Add into the mixutre the dry ingredients; flour, bakign powder and muesli cereals. Melt the butter and add into the mixture. Grease a baking pan and put half of the cake mixture , and layer them after wards with the caramelised apples. Cover it with the rest of the cake mixture. Cook at 370 F for 20-25 minutes on a pre-heated oven.

For my french readers, you can find the french version of this cake recipe here:
http://www.lesfoodies.com/hilda/recette/gateau-au-muesli-et-pommes-caramelisees-au-pastis

5 comments:

joey said...

That cake sounds delicious! Thanks for stopping by 80 Breakfasts :)

Grace said...

wow looks really good!! i will surely try this recipe..

oggi said...

I like baked goods with fruits and this cake looks so yummy!:)

La Corsaire said...

It looks lovely! Send a slice over to Hong Kong :-D I promise I won't let the house lizzies get to it.

Leah said...

Looks and sounds yummy. I would definitely try this recipe.