Bake me a christmas log cake: would you dare?

Somewhere in the woods I discovered...

When I was fifteen years old, I remember receiving an english cookbook for international cuisine as a birthday present from my Auntie. As I glance over this book, the page that really struck me was the one with a Christmas Log Cake. It was the first time I saw it and the log looks so real that it was hard for me to imagine that it was indeed a cake. After our first unforgettable encounter, many Christmasses passed but I never saw it again. I have almost forgotten about this cake until one Christmas when my husband wanting to create a "french christmas ambiance" at our apartment in Tokyo, baked a "bûche de Noël" as he called it. And that happy moment of my first encounter with this log cake came back again.


When I have learned that the December's challenge of Daring Baker's community (hosted by lovely Lis and Yvonne) is to make this Yuletide Cake Log, I was really excited. I have never baked this cake before and now here is my chance to do it. After I received the recipe and all the instructions and decided to make this cake, I knew I was up to a big challenge. Well for so many reasons. First annoying thing was that I had a problem with my oven. I noticed lately that it's not been heating up regularly. I was so worried to ask my husband to help me check-out on this because I was afraid he will notice the big burnt stain I made last week (he he he). Of course I know it's pardonnable but it would be hard for me to ask him to repair too at the same time the electric beater I just broke when I stupidly played with it massing my bread dough. Oops, he he he. I know, people call me names most often; "machine-breaker" or "ms clumsy girl" that's me. I won't deny it but I am really capable of messing things up anywhere specially in the kitchen. Another challenging part of preparing this log cake was finding the ingredients. Remember that the recipe is in english and I need to find their French equivalent in our groceries without forgetting the metric system calculations that I also need to do. Baking this cake log was like a mission "almost" impossible.

A lovely log but not like all of them...

But like all fairy tale stories it ended with a happy note. My neighbor happily lent me her oven and some kitchen utensils, and thank God I found a user friendly online English to Metric converter (I bookmarked it already for future use). So what was the verdict? Presentation and appeal wise the jury were all smitten. My log cake fooled their eyes. They swear it looked like a "real" log which was part of my plan. They were awed too by the "marzipan" mushrooms that adorned my log. As I served my jury with a slice of my cake, my heart was beating so fast. Will my french jury like the "buttercream" frosting? For most often they use "chocolate ganache with very few or no butter at all. Immediately after the first bite my husband, my in-laws and our neighbor gave me their thumb's up sign. But a five approval out of my six jury, I was unsatisfied . But eventually the five year old daughter of our neighbor finished her part. She went towards me, and said "can I have another slice please" with a big smile on her face. It was indeed a landslide success. I was really happy even though my "third encounter" with this cake didn't lasted that long. Well as a proof, I didn't even had a time to take a picture of it sliced but nonetheless I am glad for I am now a Proud Daring Baker!!


for this one is edible.......


and these mushrooms, are they poisonous?
would you dare?




A simple message from my kitchen to yours
A Merry Christmas and A Prosperous New Year to all!!

43 comments:

michelle said...

So many lovely yule logs! Great job!!

Anonymous said...

Love your mushrooms!

Ann

Gloria Baker said...

This is a so lovely recipe and pictures!! Congrats dear. Have a nice Christmas. (If you have time I put the last recipe before Christmas) xxxx Gloria
I love the mushrooms!!!

Gloria Baker said...

Hey Dhanggit, you don't put the recipe or I'm crazy, later maybe???? xxxx Gloria

haze said...

Wow chocolate cake with mushroom combination hhmm looks deliciously tempting!

As for us, we'll stay in Marseille and we will have a very quite Christmas :D ! Hubby is on duty :( ! Enjoy the holidays there and keep warm !

Jenny said...

Beautiful pics! Great job. I am enjoying this group already!

desie said...

Congratulations on completing your first DB challenge, Dhanggit. it was great fun wasn't it? your log looks beautiful. Happy Holidays and all the best in 2008. 'see' you around.XO

Helene said...

Wonderful job! Bravo! It looks exquisite! Welcome to the DBs! And I just realised you lived in Aix en Provence. I was born there and raised in a village nearby, Calas-Cabries. My bedroom window faced the Sainte Victoire! I miss it so much!!

Gigi said...

Great job on completing your first challenge. The mushrooms are exquisite.

ICook4Fun said...

What a lovely log cake. Great job!! Wishing you and your family Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year

Chris said...

Looks wonderful! I love the first pic with the lighting...
Happy Holidays!

Big Boys Oven said...

Merry Chirstmas & Happy New Year to you!

Unknown said...

I love your picture! The lighting makes it even more realistic looking. Great job!

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

FABULOUS!! I know about silly ovens, but you did a great job and got it done!! Congrats :O)

glamah16 said...

Great photo. Your mushrooms look exqusite.The whole project worked out great for you. Happy Holidays.

LizG said...

Beautiful bûche, Dhanggit! Well done on your first challenge. Welcome to DB!

Rachel said...

Lovely log and great pics! Beautiful mushrooms as well!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

all you daring bakers have really outdone yourselves this time. Simply fasntastic Dhanggit. yum yum !

K and S said...

gosh, my blog reader has been sleeping! I've missed so many posts :( Merry Christmas, Dhanggit!!

Rosie said...

Beautiful yule log Dhanggit - scrummy ;O) This would look perfect on the afternoon Christmas table!!

Happy Christmas & New Year 2008!!

Rosie x

sunita said...

Beautiful log..no wonder everyone gave you the thumbs up :-)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Lovely log cake!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and family!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Dhanggit that is a lovely write up! And perfectly wonderful log and mushrooms. Love the way the last member of the jury came in!
Welcome. You are a Daring Baker!

Julius said...

Dhanggit,

This is gorgeous!

I hope you make a bûche de Noël again next year - you have a knack for it.

Feel free to read about my yule log here.

Julius from Occasional Baker

Lunch Buckets said...

Heroic story of triumph! Your log turned out great, but I'm not surprised, all your stuff always looks so perfect!

Peabody said...

So glad it was a success with everyone. Job well done.

Anonymous said...

No surprise that the jury gave their unanimous approval. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

That is simply gorgeous! Well done!

Swati said...

The mushrooms are really well done!! :)
Yule log tooooo !!!! A proud baker indeed!!

Half Baked said...

I'd risk eating the shroom's!..too cute. Great job on the log:)

Mansi said...

wow, your log looks so real..an the effect of the veins on the ark with chocoloate are really amazing! great job girl!

Merry X'mas and a happy New Year to you too!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Great job on completing your first DB challenge. Glad your neighbor was nice enough to lend you her oven so you could participate in this one. Your log and mushrooms look fabulous!

Cheryl said...

Your pictures are so cute. I love the mushrooms.

Ruy said...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS DHANGGIT!!!
Congratulations on the success of your chocolate log cake. It looks soooo yummy! I also agree that it looks pretty realistic specially with the cute, lovely mushrooms!

Liliana said...

Your Bûche de Noël looks absolutely stunning! What a great job you did!

Gabi said...

Beautiful Buche de Noel!
It looks too good to eat.
I wish you many happy hours of baking and enjoying life in 2008!
xoxo
Gabi

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I would definitely dare with those mushrooms. They're so enticing.

Glenna said...

It's lovely! I admire your fortitude. I'm not sure I could have borrowed the neighbors oven. I wouldn't have been that dedicated!

Sagari said...

looks lovelyy dhanggit and happy holidays

Marvin said...

Wow, very impressive dhanggit! Happy New Year!

Jen Yu said...

Oh, your post is so cute!! I love the mushrooms :) You made a gorgeous yule log. Happy new year!

jen at use real butter

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Oooh! I'm so impressed. Your log and especially the mushrooms look so realistic.

Chibog in Chief said...

Hello everyone!! thank you so much for dropping by!! thank you too for all your compliments on my first DB challenge!! Happy New Year to all!!