Cannelloni Diablo


Cannelloni Diablo, really really spicy!


Call this culinary masochism or whatever term you want but I do love eating spicy food. The hotter the better. It makes you sweat all over, makes you feel numb and gives you that strong sensation to reach out for a glass of water (although people highly advise to avoid drinking water and to chew a piece of bread instead if we want to rinse out that spicy taste in our mouth).
My strong affection for spicy food was nurtured at a young age for my parents adore hot chili pepper. It is always served on the table freshly cut from the backyard. Certainly that liking for spicy food is an acquired taste. Although I have lots of friends who abhor anything spicy I always encourage them to try it to appreciate not only the sensation but also chili's health benefits.

When I used to live in Japan, I never fail to have lunch at my favorite Ramen House not far from where I live, because it is the only place I can eat noodle soup at their different degree of spicyness. And it's been quite a long time I haven't had that culinary sensation.

So I thought why not with my favorite pasta dish. After all I am masochist, slave to my culinary cravings.

I hope Joanna (Joanna's Food) loves spicy food too for I am sending her this Cannelloni Diablo , for Weekend Herb Blogging that she will be hosting this week. This is a wonderful blogging event created by Kalyn.

Canneloni Diablo
4 persons

Ingredients:
about 300 g of pre-cooked lasagna pasta (or Canneloni pasta)
3 red onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic crushed

1 red bell pepper cut in cube
200 g of canned whole tomato (chop them using your cutting knife)
125 ml of Sangrita (spicy tomato)

1 tsp of cayenne powder

2 to 3 pieces of hot chili pepper
400 g of ground meat

Salt and pepper

Start by cooking your pasta. I normally use lasagna pasta when I do canneloni because its easier to fill them up and just roll them to form the canneloni shape. In a large casserole boil water with salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Put the pasta and cook depending on the cooking instruction. Once the pasta is cooked start by preparing the stuffing. Heat a pan with oil, start by sautéeing the garlic, onion and pepper. Afterwards add the meat. Cook for about four to five minutes or until the meat has changed color. Add the salt, pepper and cayenne powder. Put this stuffing inside the canneloni. Arrange the canneloni in a baking dish and pour over the chopped tomatoes and sangrita. Bake in a preheated oven at 180° celsius for 20 to thirty minutes.

Some like it hot, some like it really really hot

26 comments:

Manggy said...

I had to look up Sangrita! :P

Anyway, spicy food isn't masochism, it's just common sense :) My whole family loves it when I amp up the peppers. It's just boring otherwise!

The canneloni looks divine. I just finished lunch and I think I'm hungry again! Nice pics too!

tigerfish said...

Wooo...I saw that small dried red chili ....must be fiery hot!

Chibog in Chief said...

Manggy, i knew you love spicy food too :-), you know that i have to use the word masochism to get your attention hehehe:-) I guess you can find sangrita on spanish speacialty gourmet stores

tigerfish, yup i always have plenty stock in my kitchen..so that i can have them whenever i want them :-)

Anonymous said...

i'd like to try it!

Happy Father's Day!

docemdy said...

I'll definitely try it but please have a liter of water close by. I'm weak with spices.

Peter M said...

Dhanngit, from reading the ingredients, this is spicy but too hot. I think there's talent in holding back and allowing a dish to give one a sneaking, delayed heat reaction.

You taste, think yum and then the wave of heat comes through...Ummmm!

Anonymous said...

Thats a yummy delicious tasty food. heheh Happy WS! mine si up.

SandyCarlson said...

I love spicy food, too. This looks mighty good!

Finla said...

Oh thel looks DELICIOUS.
You have serve it like we get in chic italian places.
If i get that tomatoe iwill give it a try

Juliana said...

looks delicious...

Mine in here Thanks

Anonymous said...

yummy...yummy....

Visit mine also in here Thanks

Anonymous said...

Yeah Buddy ... I like it hot. Hotter than hot, I like it scalding, blistering hot. JUst looking at those slivers of chilli's makes my mouth water. Nice recipe and weekend snapshot!

Rugged Up For A Winter's Walk

cheers
dale

chriesi said...

Looks really delicous!

Bela said...

my husband would definitely love this...thanks for sharing...

Mine is up. Hope you can drop by:

Bela and the Bears

Happy WS!

haze said...

Love Canneloni but haven't tried a spicy one, where do you buy Sangrita?

K and S said...

sounds spicy but addictingly good!

Emily said...

I like it really hot! This looks great.

Jeanne said...

really looks delicious
Visit also My WS Entryhere

test it comm said...

I like really spicy food as well. This looks really good!

Joanna said...

I like it warm, but that's the advantage of doing your own cooking, you can adapt recipes to get the dish exactly how you like it. And this really does look terrific

Joanna

Deborah said...

I really liked spicy foods growing up, and I still do, but I can't handle it as hot as I used to. I think it's because those around me don't care for really spicy, so after years of toning it down, I don't have the tolerance anymore. But this dish looks fantastic!

maybelles mom said...

this looks wonderful.

Elizabeth said...

I used not to be able to handle too much heat, but I'm with you. Hot is best! Especially as summer rolls around.

-Elizabeth

P.S. You might neeeed to try our favourite pasta dish: Spaghettini with Hot Chillies and Broccoli (or Rapini) The thing I really like about blackening whole chilies is that people who like their food less spicy can pick out the chillies and leave them on the side of the plate (or hand them to the chilihead) I generally eat about one blackened chilli per dinner. My husband eats the rest....

NKP said...

That looks soo good. I love hot peppers. Sometimes hubby accuses me of trying to kill him, but I say - the hotter the better!

Kalyn Denny said...

I have to admit I'm not that good with really spicy foods. I can handle a little heat, but not too much. Your photo is great!

Anonymous said...

I tend to put a little heat in everything so this looks really good. Didn't know what a sangrita was either so I had to look it up.