Friday Dose of Chocolate #2: Chocolate Saucisson


Slice them up, Chocolate Saucisson

Have you ever broke the law?

I am not proud of it but for the love of food I did. Most international airports normally prohibits bringging in and out of certain meat products and I cannot count how many times I violated this. You see french charcuteries and me are like inseparable lovers. Since the first time I tasted them I already fell in love with them. My favorite are the french saucisson! Those dry-filled sausages best eaten with cornichon (tiny cucumber) pickles. When we used to live in Tokyo, I see to it I bring back home some for a year's consumption. I would wrap them in socks or hide them in the middle of my clothes unnoticed. The latest stint I did was when we visited New York and to please our French friends based there we brought along some. I always succeed in passing probably because of my innocent look :-)

So why am talking about this? Well, Lore of Culinarty is hosting an interesting food blog event on
Original Recipes. And I am pretty sure you haven't seen nor tasted something like this before. And since its my second edition of my Friday Dose of Chocolate I'll be sharing this Original Chocolate recipe, my Chocolate Saucisson. Don't be deceived they are sweet. Kids will surely love them and adults as well. You can serve them right after a good meal with a cup of strong coffee.

(By the way, sorry for not visiting your blogs yesterday I wasn't at home. We had some family affairs to attend to.)



Chocolate Saucisson

125 g of dark chocolate
50 g of butter
150 g of chopped hazelnuts
12 pieces of Pims soft chocolate-orange cookies (you can replace it with genoise like chocolate cookies with orange marmalade fillings)
100 g of dried raisins
6 tablespoons of icing sugar
3 tablespoons of Amaretto or Cognac (optional)

Melt the chocolate in bain-marie or micro-wave oven. With the help of spatula mix well the chocolate to help it make shiny. Add the butter in the melted chocolate. Crush with your hands the Pim's soft cookies. Mix all the ingredients except the icing sugar. The alcohol is optional, omit it if it's for kids. Put them in the fridge for about thirty minutes. Check the consistency. It should be still a little bit soft and manageable for shaping. Put them in a parchment paper and roll as if you are shaping a long sausage. Once you have shaped them roll them over icing sugar. Wrap them with alluminum foils or parchment paper and keep in your fridge for minimum of seven hours. It is advised you cut them in front of your guests so they can still see the shape of your chocolate saucisson.

You can check my other chocolate recipes:

Chocolate Creme Brulée
Mini-Dacquoise cake in Chocolate Creme Chantilly
Profiterole with Lychee ice-cream and Cherry Chocolate Sauce

* For my French readers: you will find the french version of this recipe of "saucisson en chocolat" here: http://www.lesfoodies.com/hilda/recette/saucisson-en-chocolat

42 comments:

tigerfish said...

So it is a Chocolate Sausage, huh? :P
Simply beautiful and I HEART CHOCOLATES!

chriesi said...

That is yummy! Well we go together in jail hehe, for this purpose I also broke it many times...but what can be done...if those sausages and other stuff is so tempting!

Finla said...

Delicious. You had pimms to it. I love those. I keep them in the fridge so it iscool when i bite them ;-)

dailydelicious said...

HI, I'm here to say that I nominated you for the Yummy Blog Award.That's all.

Pook

Anonymous said...

wowowowowowow!!! i am so gonna try making this yummy chocolate recipe of yours!!!

btw, it looks fun! it's like a chocolate embutido bec we slice em up, too, diba? :)

K and S said...

I had something like this in Tokyo, delicious! They called it a Salame di cioccolato, or something like that. I have a recipe for this that I should try soon!

Leslie said...

Ahhhh.Chocolate Friday brought to us by the INTERNATIONAL SMUGGLER! And for that I will not turn you over to the federal agents!
Love your smuggling tactics!!!

Leslie said...

Im glad to put a smile on your face!
It is hot hot hot and humid here! I hate it! I wish I could move to North Carolina where I could see the seasons change..Oh and L.A. to lay on some casting couches!! LOL..Dreaming!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love this stuff! In Italy they call it salame di cioccolato and use biscotti instead of cookies. I've even got a drafted post about it! Yours looks really delicious!

Shari said...

Wow, that looks so good and easy!
Thanks for the idea!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Shari said...

Wow, that looks so good and easy!
Thanks for the idea!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Anonymous said...

Love it! Really looks like a sausage too :)

Susan said...

Now vegetarians can have their sausage and eat it, too. : ) Ingenious...and delicious!

Manggy said...

Sorry, Dhanggit... I thought it was my duty to report your name to Customs... Kidding :) All in the name of good food, yeah!!
I love these little Friday doses of chocolate!!! I have to learn to adopt this habit!

Patricia Scarpin said...

That looks amazing! And I'm glad with the things I brought from Europe last year (Maldon sea, chocolate... ) You are forgiven, darling! :)

Anonymous said...

lovely. that's just beautiful dhanggit. and to break the law for it ---that's dedication for you.

Gabi said...

Dhanggit you are so clever and lovely!!! They look great :)

Peter M said...

Dhanngit, it's gorgeous and reminiscent of a Greek "kormo" or log. A hint of chilli flakes also really brings out chocolat's flavour.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Oh, I simply love this easy and beautiful creation! Not to say yummy too!!

Mandy said...

At first look, i thought it was salami! And I must admit that I violated the airport rule a lot of times in the past for the love of food too~ :p

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I would have to say with all honesty that is the best looking chocolate saucisson I've ever seen! We have chocolate salami here, but this one is great! Love the pictures!

Oggi said...

All my favorites: jaffa cakes, dark chocolate, and hazelnuts in a delicious sausage. You are a genius and thank you for sharing your original recipe. Mwah!!

Maria Verivaki said...

hi dhanggit - thanks fro dropping by. moussaka is ok, but a little heavy. it's interesting to make - a real achievement, if you ask me. but then real food is all about spending real time sourcing, preparing and cooking it!

Emily said...

Oh come on! You're killing me with this! It looks SO good!!

I've broken that law, too, btw.

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome. I'll try the recipe.

Unknown said...

very, very, very good find... thanks for sharing your recipe... will try it soon...

test it comm said...

A chocolate sausage sounds great!!

Anonymous said...

wow that looks so interesting! chocolate sausages! i'll have to try this, thanks for the recipe!

Beachlover said...

oh!! I like you too.My recent trip back from asia to NY,I bring all my favourite food with me in 4 full luggage!!..Luckily the custom didn't stop me at all!!.My!! I can heard my heart beat 'bang,bang"!!lol!I not familiar with choc but it's must taste good!!.When i see your recipe,I almost faint!!lol!

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

oh my... I'm going to have to save this and make this for a party or something. This is AWESOME!! Bravo!

Anonymous said...

this is sensual seduction. i've saved this recipe!

Big Boys Oven said...

awesome, this is awesome! delicious!

Analyse said...

yay, looks really appetizing.. but now :(

Lore said...

This must be great! Love the orange-chocolate combo. I only wish I can wait 7 hours :)). Thanks so much for participating.
P.S. My mom is curently braking DHL rules and is sending me cherries and currants from the orchard back home. I always get pretty nervous when the delivery guy knocks on my door :D.

Sue said...

Yum, yum and more yum. I LOVE Peter's idea of a bit of chili too.

Anonymous said...

tres reussie l'illusion! Ca doit etre delicieux...

Jan said...

Wow, that looks amazing.

glamah16 said...

What a great idea.So unique. You could sell these. I love french saucisson too BTW..

skoraq cooks said...

This is absolutely marvelous:-) Such a brilliant and creative idea :-D

haze said...

Wow Hilda it looks like saucisson! Great idea for a chocolate recipe, very unique :D !

Anonymous said...

*-* I passed-out in chocolate exctasy at the sight of this../ :P

Dragon said...

Wow! What a great idea. I love chocolate. Can't wait to try it.