Strawberry Salad



Do your remember the movie Night of the Living Dead?

Well that's exactly how I feel right now. Only I'm not the one running from them but the creepy "Zombie" itself. This is the result of numerous weeks of accumulated lack of sleep. And I tell you no amount of coffee could bring me back to the world of the living.

Maybe some of you guys who have kids could help me out on this battle. It has been several weeks now that our little girl cries in the middle of the night. We normally let her cry and wait for her to fall asleep again., But lately she could stand for almost an hour crying (much to the disgust of our neighbors I'm sure) until we go and check her out. My husband and I would try our best to console and assure her so she would go back sleeping again. But she won't stop crying until we bring her to our bed and let her sleep in the middle of us. And that is definitely out of the question. Hubby and I would play "good cop bad cop strategy" in front of her to convince her to stay in her room and sleep on her crib. Imagine that scenario that runs for hour and hour with the ear breaking symphony of my daughter's cry in the middle of the night. Naturally of course, I give up and cedes to her.

But last night, hubby and I were really fed up on this so we let her cry to her voice and eyes content and decided to leave her on the room. But before we could even close her door, we saw right before our very eyes my daugther hurdled the high bars of her crib and jump out of it unharmed like a flying ninja. "That was dangerous!", hubby shouted as I calmed downed myself after almost having a heart attack. They rarely put Jackie Chan movie on french tv where on earth she could have learned that stunt? This afternoon, we'll definitely passing by IKEA.

And please don't shout at me "AGAIN", the talented Happycook of My Kitchen Treasures is hosting a Strawberry Feast an event to honor this versatile and forever in fashion fruit. I'll be sending this strawberry salad for that event. So if you love strawberry don't forget to check out the round-up.


Strawberry Mozarella Salad

Ingredients:

about 250 grams of strawberries ( I used the garriguette variety common in Southern France, small but highly sweet in flavor)
1 ball of mozzarella (cut in to cubes)
1 small block of feta cheese (optional)I just used them for they've been on my fridge for a long time now
250 g of different kinds of salad (mizuna, arugula, mache, young spinach)

Vinaigrette:
2 tablespoons of balsamique vinegar
half a teaspoon of dijon mustard (à l'ancienne)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
some salt
pepper
chopped fresh basil leaves
some fresh thymes

Procedure:
In a bowl mix your vinaigrette and set it aside. In a bowl mix the salad, the cut strawberries, mozarella and feta cheese. Just before serving toss them with your sauce. I served them with my home-baked black olives foccacia.







15 comments:

Finla said...

Oh yes this reminds me of the time when my daughter was small.

To the horro of my friends and family here, we took her into our bed and she slept next to me. And when she was fully asleep i took her to her bed hopping that she won't wake up again.

Love the salade, looks really summery.
Thankyou for sending to my event.

Manggy said...

Oh my! Your daughter is turning out to be quite the gymnast-- I'm glad you guys caught her in time!
And no, I'm not screaming "again"-- I love strawberries in salad! They make them look gorgeous! :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

A toddler bed definitely is a great choice now since she will undoubtedly jump out from her crib again. What about you stay in her room until she falls asleep then you can sneak out? I did that when my girl had nightmare. This phase will pass though.

Snooky doodle said...

I m sorry I don t have kids so I can t give you advice. Hope you ll get a good night sleep soon. This salad looks delicious!

Gloria Baker said...

je,je, dear sister the childs are so smart you know!! well patience,patience Only I can say the childs come to my bed at night but to sleep return to there, je!! (they have 15)They love to see some series and movies at night in MY bed when Im so tired!! but you know I read or simple close my eyes and I dont have idea where time they go they bed again!! Oh My God!! Gerardo hates this I know!! But the moms accept almost all I think! kisses.

I love your salad, I made a sald too but with watercress,xxxGloria

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A wonderful salad! What an interesting combo!

Cheers,

Rosa

♥peachkins♥ said...

Although I love Strawberries, I haven't tried including them in my salad. This is an interesting combo and I am curious to what it taste like so when Strawberry season hits here, I'll be trying this one.

Makis said...

Oh no! Mayumi's doing stunts na! At first I wouldn't believe you when you say she's a ball of energy. Oo nga! Naglilihi ka ba? Puro strawberries kasi eh :D

Adam said...

Wow, quite the adventures at your house. I guess you have a serious gymnast in the works :) All kidding aside though, I hope everything works out. I can't imagine kids at this phase of my life, but I can understand what you're doing.

And I simply love strawberries in my salad, that's all :)

Oggi said...

I don't tire of fresh strawberries in sweet or savory salads.

Mayumi as flying ninja is so funny but that's also scary..she could have hurt herself.

Unknown said...

looks like the asian blood in her is showing... maabilidad di ba? :)
and what a refreshing salad you have there... :)

pigpigscorner said...

Sorry to say this but what a nightmare! I think I'll have seconds thoughts about having a kid soon.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks so refreshing!

Francesca said...

uy, sàràp ng mgà sàlàds ànd càkes,

àno restoràn nà bà goàl nàtin hà?

àko mànàger, lol

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

The strawberries in the salad present a pretty contrast of red and green.
Cheese and strawberries = very tasty!

It's probably a phase she's going through, and she just needs some reassurance. You (and your husband could take turns) could probably sit with her till she falls asleep and she'll probably grow out of it in time.