Lemon, Rosemary & Thyme Fried Salmon

Lemon Rosemary & Thyme Fried Salmon with Lotus Root

Shirley!

Shirley, Shirley
Bo, Birley
Banana, Fanna, Foe, Firley

Fee, Fie, Moe, Mirley

Shirley

I am sure you all remember this Name game song of Laura Branigan back in the 80's. Those happy days that we're still pommading layers of gell or emptying cans of spraynet on our hair :-). Those days that the world seemed to be a lot peaceful than what it is now for the only thing that preoccupies our innocent minds are the pimple popping out on our skin and our cotton candy like hair.

I have thought about this song lately when I came across Jumbo Empanada's post on blog name story. I am pretty sure we all have our own pieces of story to tell behind the choice of our blog's name. A story worth hearing for, for curiosity always strikes us back. So, what's in a name?

Danggit are dried salted rabbitfish popularly eaten for breakfast in the island of Cebu in Philippines.

Explanation: {My friends knew that I can eat all kinds of meat and vegetables but not a fish. So to pull a prank on me, they started calling me "Dhanggit", thought it would be funny. But eventually everybody else is calling me dhanggit and Dhanggit becomes me.}

The paradox of all this, is that during my pregnancy I hated being in the kitchen. I hated the smell of it. I even hated the chocolates. And there was only one thing that would give me pleasure and that was eating fish. Weird isn't it? After I gave birth everything went back to normal, except for one thing I can eat fish now.

I'll be sending over this Salmon dish to Ruth for her Bookmarked Recipes, a food blogging event about recipes that we have bookmarked from a cookbook, magazine and others. It's been month I have drooling over to make this recipe from Maxi Cuisine, a french gourmet magazine.



Lemon Rosemary & Thyme Fried Salmon with Lotus Root

4 Salmon slices (you can also use Salmon steak)
2 tbsp of olive oil

10 g of butter

salt
& pepper
1 cup of sliced mushroom (you can use any type as long as its fresh)

half a cup of sliced pre-cooked Lotus root (you can buy them frozen on Asian specialty groceries)
20 cl of fresh cream
1 cube of fish bouillon (dissolve in half a glass of water)

Lemon Marinade:
Juice & zest of one lemon

1 tbsp of olive oil

2 cloves of garlic (pounded)
herbes de provence: thymes & rosemary


Start by preparing the marinate. In a salad bowl mix the ingredients for the lemon marinade, mix well. Pour this over the salmon and let it marinate for about 20 to 30 minutes until the sauce have penetrated on the salmon. Heat olive oil and butter in a frying pan or on a barbeque grill over medium heat. Cook each side or until they are golden brown but do not overcook. Take off the salmon from the pan and on the same pan fry the mushrooms and lotus root. Cook them for about 4 to 5 minutes, you can add more olive oil if it becomes too dry. Then deglace the pan using the fish broth. Let it boil but leave it uncover to help the juice evaporate. Then lastly add the fresh cream, salt and pepper to taste. Let it boil for few minutes. You can toss a pasta on this creamy sauce and serve the fried salmon on the top. Or serve the fried salmon with a pilaf rice and this creamy sauce on the side.

12 comments:

Big Boys Oven said...

oh my favourite salmon! lovely done!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Ah, so that's how you got your name. :)

Maybe it was baby wanting fish b/c it's healthy? My mom munched on ice cubes when she was pregnant with my sister and my sister loves munching ice cubes to this day.

I made lotus root last week too!

Peter M said...

Cool...nice to know the Dhanngit origins and be thankful you're not from Baguio City! lol

Wonderful and simple herbs to pair with your salmon steak and mushrooms are wonderful with seafood.

glamah16 said...

Do that what your name means. Well is beautiful anyway. Your salmon lloks divine. Nicely seared and flavored.

Finla said...

I always wanted to know what Dhanggit means.
So now after all these years of not eating fish you caneat them. A great story to tell your daughter when she grows up.
Love the salmon.

Ruth Strong said...

Hope I start to like fish more. I'm really bad with seafood but trying to acquire a taste for it.

loving the look if this salmon dish, some really great flavours in there.

I thought I had your email address somewhere to try sending you an email that you could see if you were able to reply to that, but I appear to not have it. I spotted that you're a member on the Leftover Queen Forum. Can you send me your email address in a private message there?

Anonymous said...

I can eat salmon morning noon and night1 What a wonderful meal with the added thyme and lemon!
ronell

Oggi said...

Filipinos have a weird sense of humor!:D

I love fish but salmon is the only kind I can't eat...yours looks very yummy and pretty with the lotus root, but then again you make everything look yummy.:)

test it comm said...

That salmon looks really good!

Anonymous said...

J'adore le saumon, ta recette me fait tres envie!
Merci pour ta gentille visite!

Cakelaw said...

This looks lovely Dhanggit - nice and light and delicious.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I am always lookiing for salmon recipes. I found yours, from last year, and it looks like another winner, for me to make. I love the addition of mushrooms.