The art of loving sweet sushi

Caviar of Caramelised Gooseberries over sweet perfumed Home-made Star Anise ice-cream
Making my baby fall asleep is like a big rubiks cube that needs to be solved by trying different ways. I would dance, sing and would sometimes tell stories even if i knew she still doesn't understand a word. Sometimes it would work, but most of the time it doesnt. Last Friday, it was listening to my Japanese songs that made her fall asleep. As I happily put her on her bed (finally after 2 hours)I continued listening to this compilation of japanese songs and opted to relax. Even if I knew I needed to do things in fast forward ("while she was still sleeping") after all I needed a break and I felt I deserved it. Truly music brings back memories.
We have lived for quite a long time in Japan and I only had good memories of this country. Japan was the country of my "first"..it was there that I lived for the first time far from my family, It was there that I met my husband for the first time,.. and it was there that I have learned how to bike for the first time in my life (at the age of 26 he hehe) and it was also in Japan that I got married (for the first time too hahaha because we had three ceremonies one in Philippines and another one in France). As I browsed our photo albums I just realised how I miss those moments. I thought i should cook something Japanese and oishii tonight. I was still savouring this quiet instant when I heard my baby cried...end of round one!

Sweet sushi
for Caviar of caramel-dipped gooseberries
100 g of gooseberries
200 g of sugar
20 tbsps of water

In a casserole, melt the sugar in the water. Let it boil slowly in medium fire. As soon as the caramel starts to thicken, turn it off. Soak one by one the gooseberries in the caramel and place in a plate separately to avoid sticking from one another.

for Home-made Star anise Ice-cream
50 g of sugar
2 tbsps of honey
2 eggs
2 star anise
1 cup of heavy fresh cream
Start by breaking the star anise and infuse them for fifteen minutes in the boiling water. Whisk sugar, honey and egg yolks until the mixture whitens. Add the infusion then whisk again. In another bowl, whisk the white eggs until it becomes firm and floppy. Stir in gently the egg whites in the yolk sugar mixture. Add in little by little the whipped fresh cream. Put in a covered container and freeze for 3 to 4 hours. During the first, second and third hour put out the ice-cream mixture and stir gently. Serve as in the photo .
Starry starry day....
 
For my french readers, the french version can be found here: http://www.lesfoodies.com/news/recette/caviar-groseilles-croustillantes-glace-badiane

29 comments:

Susan @ SGCC said...

How pretty that is! Very clever idea!

Brilynn said...

I've never seen red gooseberries before, I thought they were currants at first glance! Either way, it sounds pretty tasty to me!

Manggy said...

Hahaha, eat your heart out, molecular gastronomy! That's very clever :) I wonder what a gooseberry tastes like..

cookworm said...

This is adorable. I love the idea, and the flavors seem really intriguing (I've never had gooseberries).

Anonymous said...

Very cool! And such a feast for the eyes!

Rosie said...

My oh my Dhanggit, this is one very beautiful creation. Like wise heehee, I wish you were my neighbour I'd be round like a flash, to visit :D

Rosie x

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Wow - how fabulous! I'd love to taste some of that...

K and S said...

lovely "sushi", what a great way to reminisce the days in Japan :)

Oggi said...

It's very creative and looks so yummy too! I love star anise, will make this ice cream tomorrow.:)

Emily said...

Red gooseberries! How splendid. It's hard to find even regular gooseberries here.
This is so different. I love the dessert sushi idea.
That's a beautiful picture of the anise.

Anh said...

Yay, so lovely. I really like the shape of star anise, too. Beautiful, right?

Also I must agree with you about Japan and japanese food. hopefully I can go there this year or early next year. :) My family have been there and they all fell in love with the place.

Gloria Baker said...

This looks so lovely Dhanggit, looks wonderful!! xxx Gloria

test it comm said...

The star anise ice cream sounds good. I have never seen red gooseberries before, only green.

Anonymous said...

The star anise ice cream sounds perfect for the sunny weather here in Singapore. I love your presentation!

tigerfish said...

You are very innovative. First, sweet kind of minestrone, and now sweet sushi! :)

Anonymous said...

i think i can eat a dozen of those delectable things

Chibog in Chief said...

Stickygoeycreamy, oh thanks for dropping by 

Brilynn, I used to be not familiar with red gooseberries until we grew one in our backyard

Manggy, hahaha thanks, i thought i twas « bignay » you know for they taste the samedi

Cookworm, thanks

Ann, but i must admit taking picture wasnt easy, the ice-cream was melting too fast

Rosie, if we were neighbors it will be like fiesta everyday 

Aforkfulofspaghetti, thanks for dropping by

K& S, i really miss japan, i hope i could visit it again one time

Oggi , thanks  i was thinking adding up some vanilla would also be great for the ice-cream i mean

Emiline, i’m lucky we have in our garden 

Anh, truly you’ll fall in love with the beauty of japan and their food too 

Kevin, there are some violet and yellow ones too

Gloria, thanks dear

Ovenhaven, thanks

Tigerfish, hahahaha, thanks dear

Sakai, thanks

Sylvia said...

A long time I didn't see gooseberries,those tinny fruits are beautiful.I don't listen much Japanese music, my niece love ( her grandfather is Japanese) and sometimes she send me some music (specially pizzicato five)
And if the music inspired you to made those fabulous dishes I think that i must heard more music,,, who Knows ...;))

Cakelaw said...

What a beautiful looking dish - and very unusual. Bet it tastes wonderful too!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

i would love to visit Japan someday. U know the Hong Kong youngsters are crazy about Japanese - anything. They keep talking abt it all the time , the fashion , the food , the lifestyle ....all ! i'm sure living there must've been a gr8 experience.

your Japanese dessert looks divine.The gooseberries sure resemble caviar :)

Shalimar said...

have not seen gooseberries for a while... reminds me about time I think of going back to south of france since there are many things I miss so much in that country.
i love star aniseed it may be on dessert or meat..

speaking of babies.. my sis sings visayan songs to her little boy. my sis is wondering what will be the first few words my nephew will babble... english, greek or bisaya???

Cakespy said...

My goodness! As usual, your creativity and beautiful photography have drawn me in. I want to try it! It's giving me "caviar dreams" ! ;-)

Anonymous said...

dhanggit, the addition of the anise is fantstic. You have such an amazing repertoire of flavors due to your worldly experience. Where have you NOT lived? :)

Gloria Baker said...

Dhanggit I give you an Award look in my Blog. xx Gloria

Sidney said...

Sweet memories, isn't it...
Time flies...

Anonymous said...

These are so unique! Wonderful :)

glamah16 said...

Both of these look fabulous. Especialy the ice cream with Star Anise( a new found favaorite of mine).

Finla said...

You do cook some awasome food.

Babette said...

Wow, star-anise ice cream, now you got my interest piqued! LOL When I grow up, I want to be like you! :)