Pineapple Ginger and Cinnamon Creme Brulée

Creme Brulée goes exotic....

Ten days before our vacation and my brain cells are running out of ideas. What shall I cook? What do I have left? Every morning I open the fridge I am confronted with these questions. Sticking to the challenge my husband put on me I really feel that one way or the other I will definitely gonna give up. Considering how meticuluous I could be when it comes to ingredients, it would be like demanding me to make paella without rice. Well that's not a very good example :-) though. Since Friday is market day in our city I decided that it won't be that bad to do a small promenade with my daughter to freshen up my ideas. Thinking that I might come up with a delicious recipe seeing all the fresh produce of our local market. Upon arrival in the market the first thing that caught my attention was the mountain of sweet scented pineapple at the middle of the plaza that were on sale: "buy one take one". I couldn't take off my head the image of this pineapple and all the recipes I could do with it. But probably it was my lucky day afterall for I went back home with a big fresh pineapple. Could you guess what transpired:

a. I used my baby girl's charm to lure the pineapple vendor to give me one.
b. I found one in the garbage
c. I stole one

Well, none of the above. It just happen that I saw my mom-in-law doing her regular market day and she gave me the "take" of the pineapple that she bought. That's what I call being lucky :-) With a dozen of eggs left in the fridge I made some vegetable omelette, Rice Pilaf in pineapples and Pineapple Ginger-Cinnamon Creme Brulée for our dessert. By the way I'll be sending this recipe to Root Source Challenge #2 to win that fabulous recipe book. :-)

Pineapple Ginger and Cinnamon Creme Brulée

250 g of sliced pineapple
20 g of butter
a pinch of cinnamon powder
a pinch of ginger powder
1 tsbp of brown sugar
100 g of sugar
5 egg yolks
1 tsp of vanilla extract
half a liter of heavy fresh cream

In casserole caramelised the pineapples with butter and sugar. Add the ginger and cinnamon powder and continue cooking until pineapples become golden brown. In a bowl cream the egg yolks with 100 g of sugar. Add the vanilla extract and heavy cream. Put a layer of caramelised pineapples in ramekin and cover it with the cream. Cook slowly at 130° celsius for 30 minutes. Before serving put a teasepoon of brown sugar on the top and brown it using a blow torch.

Eyes, eyes baby....


Which floor?

25 comments:

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Oooh, I loooooove pineapples. I just cut up two to eat plain. They were on sale for only $1.59 each!

Manggy said...

Ooh, how unique! I love pineapple desserts!

Nathan Brown said...

Mmmmmmmm..... this looks good. Thanks for sharing. Au revoir.

Brilynn said...

Pineapple and ginger, what a great combo! Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! When are you coming to stay with (and cook for) us again? :-)

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic take on creme brulee!

zlamushka said...

creme bulee, oh my tompa would eat the computer right now.

Anonymous said...

Delicious! Nice to add some texture to the creme brulée.

Anonymous said...

I love the combination of pineapple and ginger. In a creme brulee i bet it's fantastic!

Tiina said...

Lovely recipe, and just what I needed as I have some leftover egg yolks waiting in the freezer. Thanks for posting this!

Rosie said...

What creativeness and such a wonderful dessert!! A great combo of pineapple and gingermmmm....

I so wish you lived next-door I'd be forever calling by for a cup of sugar (my excuse to taste your wonderful baking and cooking *giggle*)

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

I heart creme brulee!

K and S said...

pineapple and ginger sounds so wonderful! enjoy your vacation!

Oggi said...

What's a wonderful combination.. pineapple, ginger, cinnamon..I'm drooling!:)
Eyes, eyes baby is so funny!:D

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wah, you are killing me! I so love creme brulee!

test it comm said...

Pineapple creme brulee sounds pretty good!

Gigi said...

Oh man, does this sound amazing! I didn't think creme brulee could get tropical. I can't wait for pineapple season!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

There's a pineapple sitting in my kitchen with its delightful smell wafting about. I have different plans for it, but I will try this recipe with another one. The brulee looks delish.

docemdy said...

Wow, you never cease to amaze me. I just had pineapple rice for lunch yesterday. You can also do that next time.

Emily said...

Oooh, yum. A taste of the exotic. This sounds nice and tropical.

tigerfish said...

You always bring a new unique twist to the usual desserts! Clever.

This is so lovely.

Chibog in Chief said...

Wandering chopsticks, there's no better way to eat them but to eat them plain :-)

Manggy, you like mango and pineapple desserts a lot I notice

Nathan, why au revoir..i hope i will see you again ;-)

Brilynn, glad you like them

Ann,hehehe soon i will

Susan, i know its a bit too avant garde for creme brulée's touch but i tried my luck :-)

zlamuskha, hahaha your funny and cute :-)

Linda, i just thought why not a little twist on creme brulée i was glad it went well

Zenchef, you bet!!

Cinnamonda, eggyolks in the freezer? is it possible to freeze them..? i never tried

Rosie,haha my excuse would be calling for salt.;to taste your wonderful goodies in your kitchen too hahaha

Maryann, glad you like them

K&S, thanks

Oggi, you remember vanilla ice? hehehe

Little corner of mine, :-)

kevin, you bet its good!!

Gigi, hehehe i think it could do well with other fruits like mango and lychee

Aparna,hope it will be a success!!

Emdy, hi there, pineapple rice is good..i will see if i could have the time to do

Emiline, glad you like them

Tigerfish,thanks :-)

Gloria Baker said...

I really love this pineapple brulee Dhangit I really try!! mmm looks deliciousxxx Gloria

Suzana Parreira said...

Did you just say créme brulée?? I'm a freak for créme brulée - I'm making up for all the years I thought it was not that great! Awesome combo of cinnamon and pinapple.

Nina Timm said...

My first visit to your blog. I love creme brulee - to make and to eat.Your pics are beautiful and very
descriptive. Thanks