Authentic Tempura Recipe


Zuccini Flowers

Say it with flowers.

I remember there was one time as a teenager when my youngest sister told me, that If my boyfriend would not offer me flowers he doesn't really love me. I know it sounded irrational but you know she's just being romantic. :-)

Flowers have long signified love, compassion, flirt (?) and admiration in our society. Their colors and beauty have awed almost all walks of life. But recently they have been creating delicious waves in our palate too. From vibrant Pansy flowers to immaculate Jasmin have not escaped the ingeniousness of our notorious chefs around the globe. In France alone, the blooming flower consumption have paved way to organized gastronomic promenade in the forest providing crash courses on comestible flowers in the nature. This naturally ends up in the kitchen where a cooking class awaits the participants.

I must admit that everytime I am in the market I am always tempted to savor these colorful petals but their lavish prices hinders me from doing. Naturally only this time I opted to settle for these delicious zuccini flowers that fits more my budget. Next time you'll have a bouquet of flowers think twice if you'll put them on your vase or on your plate.




Zuccini flower Tempura

Tempura batter:
(I got this recipe from my Japanese foster Mom in Osaka)

This is a standard recipe you can use for any type of tempura you want

The rule: Egg + Ice Water : Flour = 1 is to 1

The quantity of beaten egg and ice water should be equal to your flour. Mix the eggs with your ice water. Mix well. Add the sifted flour all at one time. Dont stir too much, the batter should be thin and lumpy to be sure your tempura is crispy. Add ice cubes. You can divide it into three portions and keep them in the fridge to prevent them from becoming sticky.

I'll be sending this recipe to Kelly our host for this week's Weekend Herb Blogging, that lovely event created by Kalyn. (I just got a message that this week's WHB was cancelled by Kalyn due tothe death of one of our friend in the blogging world Sher of What did you eat?).

27 comments:

Pretty Life Online said...

Zuccini flower Tempura.. great idea! now I got another recipe... thanks for sharing We have lots of zucchini at our garden nice shots mine's up too hope you can drop by.

walkonred said...

that is one yummo food! :)

here is mine: http://www.walkonred.com/2008/07/weekend-snapshot-dine-in.html

Juliana said...

hmmm...yummy

Mine in here Thanks

Anonymous said...

seems delicious...

Visit me in here Thanks

Anonymous said...

I am not much into Japanese dishes, but tempura is something I really like. Thanks for the recipe.

My WS pictures are posted in these blogs:
Le Kulitszie Familie
Shutter Happenings
Jenn Was Here

Hope you can drop by. Have a great week ahead!

Nina Timm said...

Thanks for the easy 1 - 1 recipe for tempura. I am itching to find things I can batter up.

SandyCarlson said...

That's a beautiful flower. The promise of beautiful things to come!

tigerfish said...

I've just had tempura today but nothing close to your exotic creation!

Anonymous said...

Okay these just make me want to eat like never before. What an awesome recipe...love them!

Adam said...

Thanks for the tempura tip. Tempura has always seemed a little mysterious, but now it looks super simple. Great pics by the way, nice and crisp, and the colors go great.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

The only flowers I like are those for eating! Guess I think about my stomach first before my heart. ;) I love these tempura zucchini flowers! Yummy!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thank you for sharing this tempura recipe. Will sure to give it a try when I want to make some tempura. Cold water huh? Cool!

Oggi said...

Oooh I love squash blossoms and vegetable tempura. This is perfect!:)

Jeanne said...

i would like to eat those tempura...:))

Mine is HERE

Salt N Turmeric said...

wow, iv never seen a zuccini flower tempura before. they look yummy. ;)

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I love this and yours look perfect, you made me crave it!

Leslie said...

Oh yum! Too pretty!

Gloria Baker said...

Dhaggit all your recipes are yummy and beautiful but thhis is really lovely!!! and sounds so tasty! xxGloria

glamah16 said...

I love this time of year and the beautiful zucchini flowers. Just beautiful and delicious.

chriesi said...

Beautiful!

bee said...

oh, my!!! these are stunners.

Gabi said...

Funny I was just thinking about doing this very thing with some of my zucchini blossoms - It looks delicious!

Heart of Rachel said...

I've never tried Zuccini Flowers before. I'm sure they are very appetizing judging by those photos.

A Scientist in the Kitchen said...

I've been meaning to cook something like this. Can't get hold of zucchini so perhaps kalabasa flowers will do, right?

Kalyn Denny said...

I am so impressed! I've got plenty of small zucchini every year but have never made this. Your photos are great too!

NKP said...

That looks amazing. So tasty and beautifully photographed.