Homemade Orange Wine

Orange wine


What is told in the ear of a man is often heard 100 miles away. ~Chinese Proverb

My mom always told us to mind our own business. It is a sign of respect to other people. But one Tuesday afternoon in the organic market in our area, I couldn't help myself eeves dropping two wine connoisseurs conversation. Their topic was how to make your own Home-made Orange Wine. I hope you like my Wordless Home-made Recipe this Wednesday.


This wine is just perfect for summer. The light and fruitful flavor of this wine will perfectly harmonize with the color and odor of the season.


Orange Wine

for every liter of white wine or rose wine you will need
2 organic oranges
20 cl of alcohol of at least 40% (I suggest you use Calvado, Armanac, Grand Marnier etc)
16 teaspoons of sugar

Cut the oranges in quarter. Mix the wine, alcohol and sugar together and let the oranges macerate for three weeks in this mixture. You need to put them in one big plastic container tighly covered like an empty water plastic container. Everyday you need to shake a little bit. After three weeks maceration, filter the wine twice to be sure that there is no more orange pulp left in the wine. Pour them on your wine bottles and put back the cork. Orange wines are served cold to accompany your white meat dishes, seafoods, or desserts. This wine is also best appreciated for the apperitif.

Drink moderately....

You can also try my other wine recipe:

Walnut wine

21 comments:

Peter M said...

This reads more like a liqueur and I've seen a similar recipe with coffee beans too.

Let's have a few glasses and tell jokes, ok?

Unknown said...

Happy WW! A little early in the day for wine...

I invite your blog readers to see a what it must be like for angels to take a shyt on my WW-post this week...

peace, Villager

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I love this idea! I have heared of orange wine before but what I understood is that oranges were used instead of grapes, but I don't know much about it. Now yours is great, I'm gonna try it when I have leftover wine. I'm sure it would make a nice gift as well!

tigerfish said...

A start of fruit wines....nice and refreshing. What's next ? :P

A_and_N said...

Lovely pics Dhanggit! and did you change your header recently :) ?

Anonymous said...

Hey nice, and interesting. As a winemaker I love seeing peoples concoctions. Very cool.

Princess said...

Your post of yesterday goes well with today's. Yuuummmyyyy!!!

Anonymous said...

mmm, i have some apple wine, yours sounds great..happy WW!

Princess Vien said...

Great catch for WW!!

Mine is up!!

http://www.inthespiritofdance.com/2008/07/wordless-wednesday-no-1-images-of.html

Happy WW!!

Manggy said...

Would you believe I had a dream where I spied an unfinished bottle of cognac and thought, I need to make Grand Marnier with that?! True story!!! What a coincidence!

Beautiful pictures Dhanggit!

Beachlover said...

salute to you,you can make wine!!! hmmm...maybe I should make use of my grapes all over my backyard for wine!1.thanks for sharing the recipe:)

lareine said...

this must be really refreshing --- especially since the orange has a tangy zest to it... must be wonderful to drink your own wine (even without the vineyard)... i'll have to try this one :)

Leslie said...

Can I stop by for a glass?

glamah16 said...

Both the walnut wine and theorange wine look super. Really unique.

Salt N Turmeric said...

I like to enjoy wine but they usually make me feel sleepy. hehe. but i do like the warning at the end of your post, drink moderately. i tot tht was funny! lol.

La Bella Cooks said...

oooh, now this sounds really yummy. Seems pretty easy to make as well!

Lore said...

I'm glad you overheard their conversation! This looks easy enough to make and I'm sure it holds a wonderful aroma

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I've heard of this but never tried to make it. Would be lots of fun to serve at a dinner party.

chriesi said...

Mmm sounds refreshing!

haze said...

Sorry we cannot make it that special day :( ! Am sure the party will be a success ;)! Orange wine sounds cool.

veggie belly said...

What a wonderful idea! Do you have to put the alcohol+oranges in the fridge or can you leave them out?