Pancake Surprise: Creamy Onion Leeks and Fried Gambas in Cumin

Pancake Surprise of Creamy Onion Leeks & Fried Gambas in Cumin Pannequet de Poireux Fondu et Gambas au cumin

What type of pancake are you ?

I was raised to love food. Despite the fact that the number one cause of mortality in our family I suppose is food related (diabetes, hypertension, bad cholesterol, etc) we are all still passionately in love with food. And it is especially evident during breakfast where we normally feast on the last night’s left-over. When I was a kid during weekdays it was fried rice with fried salted fish all year long. Without a fail. And that is the reason why my sisters and I have learned to appreciate and savour pancakes sweetness on the weekends, we buy from the neighbor. Consider it our refuge from weekdays of salinity.

When I met my husband, he told me his specialty was crepe. (Huh?) He told me again, pancakes. (Ahhh, ok). So when he cooked for me, it was an immediate electric shock for me. First he added some beer on the mixture, (What?) then using his non-stick Teflon pan he started throwing the pancake up in the air showing all his acrobatic skills. (Wow). He garnished it with champignon, jambon Serrano, cracked egg and some grated gruyere. This is considerable remote from the pancakes I used to enjoy. I was really sceptical about his salty pancake at the beginning. But I was completely smitten from the first to the last bite.

I’ll be sending over this pancake surprise to my dear lovely Susan, the Well Seasoned Cook, for Pancakes on Parade, a delicious homage to pancake event that she is hosting. I hope I am still not late.

Pancake Surprise of Creamy Onion Leeks & Fried Gambas in Cumin
Pannequet de Poireux Fondu et Gambas au cumin

For the pancakes: 125 g of flour a quarter of milk 3 eggs a pinch of salt 50 g of butter 2 tablespoons of beer 1 tablespoon of melted butter for frying

Melt the butter. Beat the eggs as you would make an omellette then pour in the melted butter, beer and milk. Add the salt and the flour. Continue mixing until it becomes homogenous. Fry them in a non stick pan with butter.

For the Creamy Onion Leeks 1 cup of sliced onion leeks 10 cl of fresh cream salt and pepper 20 g of butter 1 tablespoon of olive oil

Heat the pan. Melt the butter and olive oil together. Put the onion leeks and caramelized them over low fire. Pour the fresh cream once the leeks have wilted and changed a beautiful golden color. Salt and pepper to taste. Set this aside.

Fried Gambas in cumin
about 21 pieces of gambas (approximately 2 to three gambas per pancake)
2 tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of ginger powder
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1 teaspoon of curry powder

In a bowl mix the lemon juice with ginger powder, curry and cumin seeds. Put the gambas and let it marinate for about thirty minutes. Then heat the pan and pour the oil. Fry the gambas for about five minutes.

Assembling:
For every pancake put a layer of creamy onion leeks, gambas and fold it as you would make package. You can tie them using chives, toothpick or some rafia.

It's like life, full of surprises..

37 comments:

Lore said...

Yay! I thought I heard somebody say "crêpes" while I was asleep ha ha :). Sometimes I think my tummy has a mind of its own.
I love your savoury filling and the crêpes look great too!

A_and_N said...

Wow, that looks fantastic! The tied 'sack' reminds me of stories where Cranes/Storks/long necked birds dropped babies in little sacks and surprised people :)

Unknown said...

very good idea... i love it... thanks dhanggit :)

Peter M said...

I've seen something like these called bundled purses and there is indeed a little treasure inside!

Adam said...

Nice pancakes/crepes. I like the savory spin on them, it's kind of like a little spicy pouch of goodness. Is a gamba like a shrimp? They def look just like them.

Susan said...

Dhanggit, no worries. It's not too late. I haven't even done my own recipe for my own event yet. : O

These are bundles of pure culinary joy! Your creativity knocks me out.
Thanks for joining Pancakes on Parade!

Suzana said...

Mmmmm, Dhanggit! I'm now imagining how yummy those pancakes must be (and I just had lunch!!) - can't wait to try this out.

Lovely photos, as usual. :)

A Scientist in the Kitchen said...

Love this one, especially the surprise inside :)

Leslie said...

I guess I wont be needing my Aunt Jemima Syrup for these! They look yummy! And yes I am awaiting your email...turn you ringer off!!!!

Oggi said...

I do believe we think alike, heheh. I just made savory buckwheat crepes and will add this to my list of fillings.

The pockets are beautiful!:)

Little Corner of Mine said...

How cute! I would love to open this little pancake surprise!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Oh my god, how fabulous are these pancakes? You are one creative woman!

Savoury pancake bombs for breakfast? Yes, that's one reason to wake up!

Anonymous said...

mmm...those look amazing!

nobu said...

It looks delicious, and also looks Kawaii!!

Thanks for visiting my blog.

glamah16 said...

What a tasty bundle. These would be a hit at any cocktail party.

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

Pretty!

And ooh, tuyo with rice!!! =D Haven't had that in... let's say, 25 years?

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

These look so elegant! Oh -- and I would fall in love with any guy who could make pancakes and flip them in the air. Sounds like you are very lucky indeed.

Chef Jeena said...

How lovely to open the parcel to find the delicious filling inside!

 gmirage said...

Wow those are too cute and very attractive too, add to the fact its yumyumyum!

Food is love...even salted fish is heaven! ;-)

Anonymous said...

What cool little bundles! Neat idea.

Nora B. said...

Your husband's crepe skills must have definitely impressed you ;-) I didn't like savory crepes when I was younger as well, but I love it all now. I also love anything with prawns (which goes perfectly with leeks), so I love this concoction of yours. Unfortunately, time ran out for me to participate in this event.

nora

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I love this cute pockets of goodness! I love the shot of the filling, yum delicious!

K and S said...

savoury pancakes sound delicious!

La Bella Cooks said...

wow....i'm speechless. These are just perfect!

ChichaJo said...

I love the combination of flavors you have here, paired with the lovely presentation!

I enjoy good pancakes for breakfast...but also salted fish and fried rice ;)

Laura Paterson said...

Wow - these look fabulous, I love savoury crepes... and food in parcels ;)

Big Boys Oven said...

the last photo is so awesome, makes me wanting one! wow!

Deborah said...

These are gorgeous, and they sound soooo delicious!

Manggy said...

Ooh! Tres elegante! :) Seafood crepes are excellent. I can't believe it's been ages since I've had one!

MaryAthenes said...

Ca me fait tres tres envie... C'est tres joli !!

Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree, those are cute.
I have crepes stored in the freezer which I made weeks ago and forgot all about, until now. So maybe I'll finally get around to making those little pouches. They look delicious.

Pannifer's said...

This looks SO good!

ilingc said...

I'm a crepe girl :)

My only regret was that I didn't eat enough crepes in France. But I guess I can always make them at home, so it's not that big of a deal. Just a novelty thing :D

I love how you wrapped them up into little parcels. Just adorable!

Anonymous said...

whoa... these look unbelievable. savory crepes are my favorite - even reading the title of this post made me salivate!

chriesi said...

Absoultely beautiful!

haze said...

Hubby will like to have a taste of this! He's a fan of crepe. The presentation looks wonderful so as the taste, am sure.

Anonymous said...

wow:)